Each Friday, I post Flashback Friday, where I use St. Ignatius of Loyola’s Examen as a guide and usually ask the following questions: For what are you least grateful this past week? For what are you most grateful this past week? This week, since it’s the last day of the month, and I’m posting this a day late, I’ll look back at what I’m most and least grateful for for the past month.
- My continued lack of exercise: Hello, my name is Unfinished Person and I’m a slug. ‘Tis true, as I sit on my ass in a chair at my desk in my office writing this when I could be outside for a walk — except that I’m a weather wuss and I hate rain and I like excuses, especially weather excuses.
- My continued lack of reading: I’m just not up to par with my reading this year. I can’t seem to get into a groove…even with the series I’m reading and enjoying. For example, this past week I was supposed to finish a book for a book club I’m in and even though the book was under 250 pages, I still couldn’t finish it. I got about 60 pages in and realized I couldn’t push on. It wasn’t that the book was bad, it was just the pressure of trying to finish it in a day.
- My continued lack of faith: Ironic, considering that these posts use St. Ignatius of Loyola’s Examen as a jumping off point. However, since late last year, I’ve lost my spiritual mojo. I haven’t been to Mass since…I don’t know when. I haven’t read the Liturgy of the Hours since…the same. I know I need to go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession), not out of a sense of guilt, but for my own mental well-being, let alone spiritual well-being. As with my reading and exercise, I can’t seem to get into a groove, except for this ass groove on my chair.
- Continuing to not eat hot wings for the last few weeks: Sometimes you just have to learn to let go, and I’m learning…slowly. Does this mean I’ll never eat hot wings again? Um, no, but it does mean I will put a much larger space between my eatings of hot wings.
- Continuing to read the Harry Potter series and to watch Cheers on Netflix: I finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix earlier this week and probably will start The Half-Blood Prince here this week. While my reading overall has been stuck in a groove, I have been enjoying this series immensely and that’s part of the reason I’m not rushing it either. After all, I have until July before the last movie comes out and I’ll still have time before then to finish the last two books and watch the rest of the movies. As for Cheers, it’s been good to laugh again in spite of the sucky weather we continue to have.
- Continuing to volunteer at the local senior center: This past month I started delivering meals one day a week, in addition to helping at the center itself a couple of days a week. Starting next week, I will be delivering meals two days a week not only in our town, but on the outskirts. For the most part, the people who receive the meals are grateful — with the exception of one or two, who just like to complain, but I suppose that comes with age (who am I kidding? I like to complain too. My middle name should be “complain.” Unfinished “Complain” Person, that’s me). I think also many of the people are homebound and don’t receive much contact otherwise, so I think our visits are a lifeline for them to the outside world — to any kind of contact, to know that they still are a part of the world, even if it’s just for a little while longer.
So for what are you least grateful and most grateful this past month?