“What we need right now, urgently, is a coalition of sanity.”
The above is attributed to Yossi Beilin, according to the very reliable (rolling eyes) Thinkexist.com.
While Beilin might not have said that exactly, in essence, that is what he said, according to other sources I’ve found, such as here (last paragraph).
Why am I mentioning Beilin? What do I care?
To be honest, I don’t. As a Christian, if the Israelis and Palestinians hasten Armageddon to its natural end, all the better to usher in Christ’s return and make room for us on our new earth. I mean, really. 1
Anyway…why I mention this at all is today while searching online for my doppelgänger 2 for Facebook, I came across Beilin, who is listed as one of my doppelgängers. I knew some of the others, such as Matthew Perry, John Goodman and Ron Livingston, and at least Kristin Kreuk looked familiar, although I couldn’t quite place her. However, I hadn’t heard of Beilin.
So naturally, I Googled his name and found the obligatory Wikipedia article about him (which the photo I imagine is what I will look like when I am older), but then I dug a little bit more and found out a few more interesting things that I thought I’d share with you:
1. Continuing on the death theme from yesterday, Beilin wants to be cremated when he dies which some ultra-Orthodox Jews think is anathema, to put it mildly.
3. Beilin is a Birther. No, not that kind of Birther (Urban Dictionary rules — and will be my next meme conquest on Facebook!). But one who believes in the Birthright concept that every young Jew should be able to visit Israel for free, even young Jews like this Canadian-Israeli-Moroccan rapper:
Actually after listening to him, I think maybe that even the U.S. should allow Shai Haddad, who goes by the stage name of SHI 360, to visit too. Yes, only visit, because one Jewish megastar rapper is enough for our country, and we don’t need any more of those Canadians trying to emigrate here. Freaking Canucks, hosers, Newfies, frogs, square heads, Quebeckers! 4
Actually I joke, but like my doppelgänger, I do believe that we all should join together in a coalition of sanity. After all, to paraphrase him slightly: “We are all human beings,” and then to quote directly: “We can live only if it is together, side by side.”
- No, not really. I am a Buddhist and as such, I have no concern for the major three religions, as I am a member of the fourth, fifth, sixth or seven major religion, depending on what source you consult, not that I’m keeping track, because as a Buddhist, I am not supposed to care about such temporal things (shaking my head like Gandhi, oh, wait, wasn’t that yet another religion? Hey, if nothing else, I’m equal opportunity mocker of all religions. At last count, according to this website — don’t worry, no subfootnotes — there are more than 4,200 religions worldwide. I’ve got a lot of work to do). ↑
- Click here for a little bit about the meme’s origins; just don’t go to the suggested website and download anything: it takes over your search bar and is a real pain in the ass to get rid of..um, I can’t tell you how I know that, but I do.↑
- Some of my best friends are ‘tards.↑
- Some of my best friends, including many blogger I know, are from the Land of Cheaper Drug Prescriptions, sorry, it was the worst I could muster. I couldn’t even muster the other names, to be honest, and had to find them online. ↑
Thanks to Shimone Samuel at Like Wow Online for the article on how to do footnotes in HTML. With a little modification for Blogger, I made it through the process.